The Question about Whey Protein

Protein is a macronutrient required by everyone on a daily basis.  We need complete proteins because they contain the amino acids required by humans, helping to build and repair tissue, build the immune system, hormones, enzymes, balance sugar levels and provide energy.

The requirements of protein range between
* 62-220g of protein for men (based on the 2500 calories a day) and
* 50-175g for women (based on the 2000 calories a day).

This is roughly 10-35% of the daily calories – a percentage of which many people fall short of (range takes into account differences of age, weight and gender).

Whey protein is a complete protein with rich amounts of all the essential amino acids.  The biological value is a measure of how efficiently protein is used by the body.  Whey has the highest BV of all protein sources (followed by whole egg, meat, casein eg cottage cheese and then soy.

Whey protein is a pure, natural and high quality protein from cow’s milk.   In its purest form, as whey protein isolate, it contains little to no fat, lactose, or cholesterol.
Whey protein is a naturally occurring derivative of the cheese making process.  Whey makes up roughly 20% of the protein in milk (the other 80% is casein).

Whey gives the following benefits:
* slows down the ageing process and maintains the subsequent muscle tone
* immune health- it contains natural immune-supporting compounds
* weight management – it contains appetite-suppressing and blood-stabilising compounds resulting in less calorie consumption
helps to preserve lean tissue
* Maintains bone mass in moderate amounts
vital in sports – very popular in terms of its benefits on body composition for both endurance and strength athletes.  Ingestion of whey post-exercise is associated with quicker recovery and improvements in training.

The amino acid leucine is found in high amounts in whey and assists those on a reduced calorie diet preserve lean muscle mass while burning fat more effectively compared with those consuming a low amount of protein.

Whey is a simple way to ensure your daily protein needs are met with a high quality protein supplement.  Pay attention to the ingredients listed on your whey protein powder ie watch out for the form of whey as well as added sweeteners, flavourants, sugars and carbohydrate content.  Choose a product which is free of hormones and free of fructose.  Do not consume whey if you are allergic to milk.

Use whey immediately after training to prevent the damaging effects of cortisol (stress hormones) on the integrity of muscle tissue. Whey isolate ensures rapid digestion and absorption of vital amino acids to assist in post exercise muscle recovery.

Whey can also be taken as a snack during day, or as a breakfast on rising.

One point on whey is to make sure you do not exceed the recommended serving.  Excess amounts can result in bloating and fatigue.  More serious conditions over long term can arise from too much whey when ketosis occurs ie kidney deterioration, liver damage and joint problems (calcium build up).
However, in moderate amounts, whey is an excellent way to add extra high quality protein to your daily caloric intake.

Be Sociable, Share!